Boston Globe: Marathon Bombing Suspect In Custody
The Downtown Boston BID was deeply saddened by the horrific events at the Boston Marathon on Monday afternoon.
We extend our prayers and sympathies to everyone touched by the tragedy. In the wake of Friday's metro Boston "lockdown" stemming from the manhunt for the second of the two Marathon bombing suspects, here is an update from the Greater Boston Convention & Visitors Bureau (GBC&VB):
- Per the Governor's and Mayor's request the “shelter in place” order remains in effect in the City of Boston, including the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center and the John B. Hynes Convention Center.
- Logan International Airport is open, and flights are currently able to land and take-off as scheduled. Taxi service has been restored, and visitors attendees and exhibitors arriving for any of our events should be able to access hotels via taxi, but should expect delays due to heavy security presence throughout the city.
- Hotels across the city are open and honoring reservations. Once attendees and exhibitors reach their hotels, they are encouraged to stay there until further notice.
- Attendees and exhibitors already in our [convention] facilities should stay and continue with scheduled activities. Attendees in route to the buildings for scheduled events will be allowed access, but should be prepared for vigorous security screening. Attendees, exhibitors, employees of the MCCA and employees of contractors not already in route to our facilities should not attempt to come to the Hynes or the BCEC until we have further information.
Boston Convention & Exhibition Center Activity:
- Experimental Biology 2013 Annual Meeting: Move-in activities continue with contracted labor staff and MCCA employees who were already in place prior to the “shelter in place” order. For now, registration planned to open at the BCEC at 1 p.m. is delayed. Attendees should not come to the BCEC to register until further notice. Registration at satellite hotels including the Renaissance Boston Waterfront and the Westin Boston Waterfront hotels will be open.
Hynes Convention Center Activity:
- Ambulatory Surgery Center Association’s (ASCA) Annual Meeting: We are continuing with ASCA activities as planned for attendees and exhibitors who were already in the building. Attendees not already in route to the building should stay where they are and not attempt to travel to the Hynes until further notice. We are hopeful that events scheduled for this evening will go on as planned, and we will update as soon as we have more information.
- Boston Comic Con: We are hopeful that the event will open tomorrow as scheduled, and we will update as soon as we have more information.
MBTA & ASSOCIATED CLOSURES UPDATE:
- MBTA service (with the exception of the commuter rail) has been restored as of 6 pm on Friday. For additional updates, check back periodically to the MBTA's transit alert page.
- Listing of Boston-area closures due to the manhunt (Boston Globe)
MORE USEFUL INFORMATION:
• The City of Boston's hotline for families of victims: 617-635-4500;
• The Boston Police witness hotline: 800-494-8477;
• The Greater Boston Visitor & Convention Bureau's Facebook & Twitter pages;
• The Back Bay Association's announcement and Twitter page.