Storm Preparedness & Critical Information
Winter Storm Nemo is predicted to deliver 1-2 feet of snow to the Boston area from Friday, February 8th, through Saturday, February 9th.
The City of Boston has issued a general press release announcing its mobilization plans and providing general safety advice. The City's "Know Snow" page contains important information about property owners' snow-removal obligations after a storm. Here are the basic guidelines:
- Remove snow, slush, and ice from sidewalks and curb ramps abutting your property within 3 hours of snowfall ending (or 3 hours from sunrise if snow falls overnight) as required by law. Violators will be fined.
- Remove snow, slush, and ice from the full paved width of the sidewalk and curb ramp to create a minimum path of 42 inches wide. Narrow paths encumber carriages and wheelchairs, and properly cleared pathways ensure flow and safety of pedestrian traffic.
- Remove ice to bare pavement or make as level as possible and treat with sand, sawdust or similar material.
- Please clear any snow that may be blocking a handicapped ramp, fire hydrant or catch basin.
- DO NOT shovel or plow snow into the street: Violators caught shoveling snow from private property into the street will be fined.
- DO NOT leave snow or ice on stairways or fire escapes. All common means of egress must be clear.
Downtown Boston BID Ambassadors will begin cleanup in downtown soon after the storm ends. Ambassadors will:
- Remove snow from handicap access ramps and cross walks;
- Clear snow from catchbasins;
- Remove snow from Big Belly tops;
- Remove snow from Shoppers Park (Franklin & Washington St.) and Readers Park (School & Washington St.);
- Remove snow from the Summer Street/Downtown Crossing pedestrian plaza;
- And salt and sand any slippery areas.
Please contact the BID Customer Service Line at 617-261-0066 once the storm ends if you have a question regarding BID Amabassadors' snow removal in downtown. For weather.com updates of the storm's trajectory, please visit here.