Employment Opportunities at the Downtown Boston BID
Positions remain posted until a sufficient number of candidates have applied or the position is filled.
Operations Manager - Block by Block -- APPLY NOW
JOB SUMMARY: Reporting directly to the Director of Operations the Operations Manager is responsible for providing operational leadership and management of the Downtown Boston Business Improvement District Clean, Hospitality and Outreach Ambassador Program. This position requires proactive communication and coordination with both employees and stakeholders including local businesses and residents to ensure the highest level of membership services. This position also requires daily interface with the Downtown Boston Business Improvement District staff regarding district initiatives including but not limited to: cleanliness, safety, event support, public realm improvements, landscaping and other issues as identified.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Working with the Director of Operations to provide daily management of the Clean, Hospitality and Outreach Ambassador Program and its 50+ employees.
- Partner with long tenured operations supervisor and team leaders on operational management.
- Provide operations and safety leadership for the Ambassador Team as well as BID personnel.
- Daily interface with the Downtown Boston Business Improvement District’s safety, public realm and events staff regarding district initiatives including but not limited to: cleanliness, safety, event support, public realm improvements, landscaping and other issues as identified.
- Oversees the outreach teams efforts to work with individuals experiencing homelessness and develop best practices to address this issue
- Work with BID staff, members, and stakeholders to respond to issues related to cleanliness, trash removal/disposal and infrastructure failure; serves as an additional point of contact for city agencies.
- Collect and analyze data related to cleanliness, public safety and operational matters.
- Implement consistent training and operating procedures within the Ambassador Program to advance district cleanliness, hospitality, safety and outreach goals.
- Evaluate and make recommendations on improvements to existing operations, programs, and services.
- Respond to safety - based observations and stakeholder concerns including property owners and the district’s growing residential community.
- Plan and execute stakeholder pilot programs such as collaborative trash removal to address district-wide issues.
- Create and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders to foster collaboration and cooperation for current and future organizational objectives.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Operations and Safety Experience: Five years plus years of management experience in operations, hospitality and/or planning in private or public settings. Successfully demonstrate experience in developing and executing programs that are customer service driven.
- Education: Minimum B.A. required; advance degree preferred.
- Stakeholder Experience: Ability to build consensuses with diverse partners, including commercial and residential property owners, social service agencies, academic institutions, government officials, law enforcement, fire services, emergency management, members of the public, elected officials, and business owners.
- Communications: Advanced writing skills desired, public speaking experience, and ability to manage internal and external communication portfolio for public operations messaging. Understands and follows local and national news regarding relevant issues. Superior crisis management skills.
- Training: Experience with delivering training and assessing additional training needs.
- Operations and Special Events: Experience in logistic and risk management for city wide and outdoor events including concerts and public gatherings.
- Reporting: Experience producing reports on indicators and incidents as well as documentation for best practices and improvement.
- Planning Experience: Experience developing and writing plans, procedures and protocols for operations including evacuation, emergency response, training, event planning as needed.
- Organizational Skills: Strong organizational skills with ability to effectively staff, plan and execute multiple events simultaneously;
- This position requires both field and office work as well as the ability to work nights and one weekend day.
- Diverse urban landscape with a mix of residential, academic, historic, and retail businesses.
- Block by Block is an equal opportunity employer.
COMPENSATION: Compensation Commensurate with Experience $70,000 to $75,000
WORK HOURS: Required to work outside of normal business hours and on weekends. This is Full Time, Regular, Exempt position.
LICENSING: Valid Driver’s License with clean record.
LOCATION: Boston, Massachusetts