Events and Programming
Always Something Happening Downtown
Exciting events that enliven the district and draw people downtown have been a focus of the BID since its inception. Longtime favorites include street markets, live music, games and more. Recent events have included hosting and producing Boston Fashion Week, Taste of Downtown Crossing, and Harborfest. The BID also presents arts events with a focus on supporting the diverse people, voices and creativity that are the hallmark of Downtown Boston. Also, the holidays are magical as families gather here for Macy’s annual tree lighting against the backdrop of Downtown Crossing. In a normal year, there are more than 1,300 public performances programmed throughout the district. On any given day across seven days a week, people will hear music on many of the corners and in the public spaces across the district.
A comprehensive online calendar of events steers people to activities of interest. Our newsletter and advertising campaigns also help build audiences.
Popular activities include:
- Downtown Boston Brass and Downtown Dixie strolling lunchtime musicians along with the Downtown Singers
- Special events - including Chowderfest and Harborfest
- The annual Doggone Halloween costume parade
- The Freedom Trail Redcoats changing of the guard
- Over 1300 free lunchtime and evening concerts during the summer throughout the neighborhood
- A free lunchtime baggo league at 125 Summer Street
- Live holiday music and entertainment