Categories: Historic & Cultural Attractions / Religious Institutions
Phone: (617) 227-2155
Website: King's Chapel
For group tour requests, visit here: http://www.kings-chapel.org/Outreach/Freedom-Trail/Group-Tours.html#
One Of The Oldest Congregations In America And Steeped In Boston's Revolutionary History
King's Chapel was organized as an Anglican congregation at a meeting in Boston's Town House, the city hall of the day, on June 15, 1686. Its first house of worship was a small wooden meting house at the corner of Tremont and School Streets, where the church stands today, that was dedicated on June 30, 1689.
The congregation grew and its building was in a bad state of repair as the middle of the 18th century approached. After difficult negotiations with Boston officials, the congregation acquired more land on the east side of its lot. Peter Harrison of Newport designed the new, larger building and construction began in 1749. The stone building, made of Quincy granite, was opened in 1754. A bell that was forged in England was hung in 1772. It cracked in 1814 and was recast by Paul Revere and rehung in 1816. Revere is quoted as saying it was "the sweetest bell I ever made." It still rings every Sunday morning to summon parishioners to service.
King's Chapel closed in 1776 for a few short months following the exile of Royalists in March, but reopened following the loss of its minister (the Rev. Henry Caner) for the funeral of Patriot General Joseph Warren, killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill. During the Revolution, members of Old South Meeting House, a Congregational parish, and a few King's Chapel members continued to worship there. During the Revolution it was known for a time as "the Stone Chapel."
King's Chapel and the adjacent burying ground (owned by the City of Boston) are the fifth stop on Boston's Freedom Trail walking tour. Morning prayer, with a sermon and full choir, is held at 11:00 a.m. on Sundays and a service of Holy Communion is held on Wednesdays at 6 p.m. throughout the year. King’s Chapel also hosts recitals on Tuesdays at 12:15 p.m. for a suggested donation of $3. Everyone is welcome.